Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Left-Wing Intellectual

I’ve been struggling to come up with a good acronym for my spouse, because I have at various points used Husband, Spouse, and Mr. P/H, but am not particularly satisfied with any of them. Then I recalled a memorable incident from a few semesters ago, when he was teaching a history survey course, and had a group of students who were completely puzzled about the meaning of right-wing and left-wing politics. When one of them asked him what left-wing actually meant, he enjoyed the opportunity to get a good discussion going about the origin and ideological significance behind these terms, but afterwards he came home in fits of exasperation: “All this time I’ve had this image of myself as the European Left-Wing Intellectual, and they don’t even know what that means !” So at least on my blog, he can be secure in his existence as the LWI.

No comments:

Post a Comment